Wednesday, April 8, 2009

A Wholesome BLT

One Sunday morning a while back Justin and I decided to make brunch. We had a sun-dried tomato frittata, biscuits with jam, and, for some reason, I really wanted bacon too. Although I will eat real bacon if it's offered to me, I can't bring myself to buy it. There's not much nutritional value to make it worth it. So I got some turkey bacon. I know, I know, it's not the same, but I kind of like turkey bacon. It complimented the brunch quite nicely. After having it with our brunch, however, we had a lot leftover. I threw it in freezer and figured I would find a use for it eventually.

That use came when I got inspired to make whole wheat bread last week. I just recently got into bread-baking, and let me tell you, it is truly satisfying to take a couple of warm loaves out of the oven and enjoy the homemade bread smell permeating my apartment. But back to the BLT. I knew I wanted to use turkey bacon, whole wheat bread, spinach, and tomato for the sandwich, but then I added a few key ingredients. I had some leftover red onion in the refrigerator, so I sliced some of that and placed it on top of the bacon while it was cooking, and also included it in the sandwich too. I think it's really necessary to have mayonnaise with a BLT. Otherwise it's just too dry. But I don't like plain mayo, so I spiced it up a bit by adding chipotle seasoning and lime juice. The final result was a very tasty sandwich that didn't taste low-fat at all, but definitely made for a wholesome meal.

Ingredients for two BLT sandwiches:

4 slices whole wheat bread
4 slices turkey bacon
2 slices red onion
10 spinach leaves
1 large tomato slice, cut in half
Chipotle-lime mayonnaise

1. Cook turkey bacon, either in a pan or in a oven/toaster oven (I cooked it in a toaster oven for about 20 minutes at 400F. During the last 2 minutes, I set it to broil to make the bacon crispier).
2. When the bacon is halfway done, place the red onion slices on top of the bacon.
3. Meanwhile, slice the tomato, wash spinach and tear of stems, and make the chipotle-lime mayo.
4. When the bacon is done, keep it covered, and toast the bread.
5. Build your sandwich, and savor the wholesome goodness of it!

Chipotle-Lime Mayonnaise



1/8 cup low-fat mayo
3/4 teaspoon chipotle seasoning
3/4 teaspoon lime juice





Whole Wheat Bread

(Adapted from Better Homes & Gardens)

2 cups all-purpose flour or bread flour
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 cup quick oats
1/2 cup wheat germ
1 package active dry yeast
1 3/4 cups warm water
1/3 cup packed brown sugar
3 tablespoons butter or (trans fat-free) margarine
1 1/4 teaspoons salt

1. Dissolve yeast in warm water, allow it to froth about 10 minutes.
2. Mix together flour, whole wheat flour, quick oats, wheat germ, brown sugar, and salt.
3. Add yeast mixture to dry mixture.
4. Stir, stir, stir until soft dough forms.
5. Add more flour as needed while kneading dough into uniform mixture.
6. Shape dough into a ball and place in lightly greased bowl, turning to coat.
7. Cover with a damp cloth and set in a warm place (I turn on the oven for a few minutes, then turn it off and set the dough inside).
8. Let rise until double in size, about 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
9. Punch dough down and knead a few times on lightly floured surface.
10. Divide in half, shape into long loaves, place in two 9 x 5 inch greased loaf pans, cover and let rise 30-45 minutes until nearly double in size.
11. Bake in preheated oven at 375F for 35-40 minutes or until bread sounds hollow when lightly tapped (you may need to cover loosely with foil during the last 10 minutes to prevent overbrowning).

Congratulations, you just made bread!

1 comment:

Hong said...

mmm.. Beck that sounds yummy! :) I'm wondering if I should register for a breakmaker..

- Hong