Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Pistachio Apricot Oatmeal Cookies


Last night I discovered a great oatmeal cookie recipe (for the oat-loving horse in me). I had bought a bag of pistachios from the grocery store last week since they were on sale. I have previously been rather indifferent to pistachios. I ate them if they were around, but didn’t get too excited about them. A few months ago, however, I had a salad at Soups On! in Baltimore that came with pistachios on it. It was so delicious, and this little green nut has been on my mind ever since. So I was thrilled to find them on sale.

This recipe made about 30 cookies for me. They’re small and delightful, and crispy-chewy after they’ve cooled a bit. I never thought of putting apricots and pistachios together before! Hope you like them.

Pistachio Apricot Oatmeal Cookies
From Gourmet, October 2003

1 stick (1/2 cup) softened unsalted butter or trans fat-free margarine, such as Earth Balance
3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 teaspoon vanilla
1 large egg
3/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon
1 1/2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats (not quick-cooking)
1/3 heaping cup dried apricots (2 ounces), diced into 1/4-inch pieces
1/3 cup shelled pistachios, coarsely chopped

Put oven racks in upper middle of oven and preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 2 baking sheets.

Beat together butter and sugars in a large bowl with an electric mixer at medium-high speed until fluffy, then beat in vanilla. Add egg and beat until combined well. Stir together flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon in a small bowl, then add to dough and mix at low speed until just combined. Fold in oats, apricots, and pistachios.

Spoon rounded teaspoons of dough about an inch apart onto baking sheets. Bake cookies 8-9 minutes. Transfer cookies with a spatula to racks. (Cookies will crisp as they cool.)

1 comment:

Hong said...

that sounds yummy Becky! I seriously need to start trying out your recipes. I love how unique they are!