Tuesday, July 14, 2009

A Perfect Snack

It's light. It's hearty. It's packable. Yogurt -- what a perfect snack! Yogurt is really good for your digestive tract. It's got lots of good bacteria to fight off the bad bacteria. It's filling enough to be a good hearty snack but light enough so that you don't feel stuffed. And you can dress it up with berries, nuts, granola, oh my! I have a few favorite combinations: cherries and walnuts, strawberries and almonds, or granola sprinkled on top. You can use any berry or nut you fancy. I use plain yogurt so I can control how much sugar goes into it, and then I add a little bit of brown sugar. I pack the ingredients into an emptied Bonne Maman preserves jar.

Here are the perfect ratios (layer from bottom up):

1/8 cup walnuts (or other nuts)
a few berries (I usually use cherries or strawberries)
1/2 cup plain, low-fat yogurt (I use Dannon all natural)
1 tablespoon brown sugar

You can use fresh or frozen berries. If using frozen, just make ahead of time and store in the fridge for a few hours until the berries thaw. When you're ready to eat, stir everything together. It's so yummy!

No comments: