Friday, August 28, 2009

Crispy Oven Chips

There are people out there who probably think I'm crazy for using my oven in August. Since I bake all the time anyways, it's no big deal to me, and I don't notice an overwhelming difference in the comfort level of my apartment. Besides, I only recently perfected recipe for oven chips, so now I want to make them whenever we get potatoes. (If anyone has a suggestion for what to do with potatoes that doesn't involve heat, I would be interested in hearing it!).

These chips are so good plain or with some organic ketchup. In the past, potatoes have been overlooked for their nutritional benefits, but there is really a lot of good in them! They are a good source of carbohydrates, which anyone who does any physical activity needs. They are also a good source of protein, Vitamin C, and Potassium. I use extra virgin olive oil to give a good dose of healthy fat, and I sprinkle salt, pepper, and garlic powder to give it a nice flavor. And the secret ingredient? Halfway through baking, I scatter sesame seeds over the chips to give them extra crunch (plus extra fiber and protein). This is a great snack, side, or appetizer. Pair it with some organic ketchup, and then you get lycopene to boot!

Crispy Oven Chips

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

several potatoes (on the small side)
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons sesame seeds

(These measurements are estimates. Use more or less seasoning depending on your taste). Scrub potatoes well. Slice into 1/8 inch thickness. Drizzle a pan with a tiny bit of olive oil and use fingers to spread around pan to coat. Lay potatoes out on pan, being careful not to layer them too thick to avoid one slice getting buried under another. Drizzle 1 tablespoon oil and sprinkle seasonings over potatoes, excluding sesame seeds. Toss to coat evenly. Bake for 25 minutes. Remove from oven, scatter sesame seeds, and use tongues to toss potatoes, making sure to rotate slices so that they brown evenly. Bake for 25 minutes longer. Remove from oven and enjoy! (Serves about 4 sides).

2 comments:

Andrea said...

These were so good! I made them for Labor day when my sister and brother-in-law came over. Everyone loved them. I have tried making them before in the past but they never turned out. Your recepi was perfect!! The sesame seeds added an extra crunch...what a good idea!!
Andrea

Becky Smith Kuk said...

Andrea, I'm so glad you liked them! I've had many failed attempts with oven chips in the past, so I was really excited to perfect this recipe.