Monday, August 31, 2009

Salmon Burgers

Salmon is my favorite fish, and could very well be my favorite source of meat protein. The texture is so smooth and buttery, and the flavor is great on its own or with other ingredients added to enhance it. Unfortunately, the high cost of salmon steaks and fillets prevent me from having it too often. That's why I was delighted to discover a recipe for Salmon Burgers using canned salmon. Granted, it's not as cheap as tuna fish, but it's a whole lot better than the $14.99/lb sample of salmon I recently had at Whole Foods. (It was divine, I tell you. Divine.) And actually, the cost of the salmon burger and bun (excluding any topping you might add) is less than 2 bucks! I think that's a good deal.

I used wild caught Whole Foods 365 Days brand of canned salmon. Canned salmon usually still has bones in it. The easiest way to take out the bones, without getting it all mixed in together, is to turn the can of salmon upside down on a plate or cutting board. Separate the round of salmon in half, and run your fingers down the middle to get rid of most of the bones. Don't worry about getting every last bit; they're soft and it's not a big deal if some of them end up in the burger.

I'm pretty sure I came across this recipe on the Alaska Seafood recipe, but it's not up on their website anymore. It's so easy. The main flavors are salmon, dijon mustard, and soy sauce. Just mix everything together and form into patties. We cook the burgers on the griddle. We've never tried them on the grill, but they seem substantial enough that they would hold together. This recipe makes four servings.

Salmon Burgers

15 oz. canned salmon, bones removed
2 tablespoons soy sauce
1.5 tablespoon dijon mustard
3/4 cups plain bread crumbs
1/2 cup sliced green onion
1 egg

Mix it all together, form into patties, and cook on hot griddle (400 degrees) for about 5 minutes on each side. Serve on whole wheat buns with your choice of veggie toppings. Don't bother with ketchup or mustard; this burger doesn't need either one!

3 comments:

Michael and Becki said...

This sounds yummy... I grew up on salmon burgers, though slightly different recipe. You know that you can leave the bones in there and smash them in there... can't even tell.

Becky Smith Kuk said...

Hey Becki, what recipe did you grow up with? I would be curious to try something new. The circular bones are the ones I wonder about...do they really just soften up and you can't even tell they're there?

Andrea said...

These were amazing!! In the past I have used just leftover salmon steaks to make sandwiches. The canned tuna is much cheaper. I didn't have any problems with bones in the brand I bought. My husband loved them so much that he asked for me to make them again the this week.