Saturday, September 26, 2009

Perfect Picnic












Justin and I went to the DC zoo on this rainy Saturday, and we packed a perfect picnic lunch for it. We got a bit of a late start, so as we drove around looking for parking, we eagerly looked forward to eating our sandwiches as soon as we arrived. I came up with two different kinds that are a far cry from your typical PB&J. The first was a sunflower seed butter and apricot combo, and the second was fig, honey and provolone. Both were on multi-grain bread (the whole grain kind), and they were delicious! I think the fig, honey, and provolone sandwich would be even better if you toasted it and made it like a grilled cheese. I'd like to give that a try next time. If you have a toaster oven at your work like I do, it would be a great sandwich to bring in.

Along with our sandwiches, we had a gingergold farmer's market apple (nicely sweet-tart, and very crisp) and homemade double ginger cookies. After we found our parking spot, we enjoyed the sandwiches while the rain gently fell on the windshield. It was quite peaceful, and quite a delicious picnic lunch. The zoo was great, too! And can you believe the bird in the picture is a type of pigeon? Imagine if those were strutting around our cities.

Sunbutter and Apricot Sandwich
(Makes one sandwich -- I won't specify how much sunbutter and jam to use, that's up to you, but I like a lot)

Two slices multi-grain bread
Sunflower Seed Butter
Apricot Jam (the good kind, with apricots as the first ingredient and no high-fructose corn syrup)
3-4 dried apricots, minced, and scattered over the jam

Spread a thin layer of sunbutter on the first piece of bread, give a good heaping of apricot jam on top of that, sprinkle with apricot bits, then put
globs of sunbutter on the second piece of bread and top. By putting sunbutter on both pieces of bread, it will prevent the sandwich from getting soggy from the jam if you don't plan to eat it right away.


Fig, Honey, and Provolone Sandwich
(Makes one sandwich)

Two slices multi-grain bread
3 figs, rinsed and sliced into 1 cm pieces
1 slice provolone cheese
about 1 1/2 teaspoons honey

Layer the provolone on the first slice of bread, then place the figs evenly on top, and lastly drizzle the honey over the figs. Top with the second piece of bread.


Farmer's market apples: My favorites have been Gingergold and Honeycrisp. Also delicious are Gala, Fuji, and Golden Delicious. Most markets have descriptions of each apple, so they can help you find your favorite.


Double Ginger Cookies: I warn you, I'll give you the link to this recipe, but either the baking time or the oven temp are off. The directions say to bake the cookies for 18 minutes. I baked mine for 12, and they burned. The second time around I had them in for 9 minutes, and they still burned!! I had to scrape off the bottoms to salvage them. The flavor is very nice if you can get the baking time right, so it's worth a shot. But be aware that they don't get dark, so it's hard to tell if they're done or if they're going to burn. Here's the link, if you're brave enough.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Is that a rou-rou partridge that you took a picture of? (Sorry, my husband is into birds)

And I love apricot anything in my sandwiches! -Especially with a slice of strong cheese. ~Shiloh

Becky Smith Kuk said...

Shiloh, I actually can't remember what type of bird that is. I know it's some exotic type of pigeon (if you can put "exotic" and "pigeon" in the same sentence). And I love apricots, too, sandwiches or straight. Congratulations on the newest addition to your family!