Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Swiss Chard with Raisins and Pine Nuts

How many of you out there like chard? My guess is not the majority. I used to not even know what chard was before last year. After joining a food co-op, I received it monthly and had to figure out what to do with it. I have to admit, I wasn't too crazy about it at first. But then I came across this recipe on Epicurious with raisins and pine nuts, and it doesn't just make it bearable, it makes it tasty! This is a good recipe all on its own. I made a few changes by cutting out some of the oil and increasing the amount of raisins and pine nuts. I had to share it with you, especially if you also wonder what to do with this leafy green. Without further ado, here it is:

Swiss Chard with Raisins and Pine Nuts
Makes about four servings

1 1/2 pounds Swiss chard (preferably rainbow or red; from 2 bunches)
3/4 cup pine nuts
2-3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 medium onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup golden raisins, finely chopped
1 cup water

Submerge chard into a big bowl of water. Swirl around to get rid of any dirt. Pat dry. Tear chard leaves from stems, then coarsely chop stems and leaves separately. Toast nuts a dry 6- to 8-quart heavy pot over medium heat, stirring frequently, until golden, about 3 minutes, then transfer to a bowl. Heat oil in pot and add onion, stirring occasionally for 1 minute, then add chard stems and cook, stirring occasionally, 2 minutes. Add raisins and 1/2 cup water and simmer, covered, until stems are softened, about 3 minutes. Add chard leaves and remaining 1/2 cup water and simmer, partially covered, stirring occasionally, until leaves are tender, about 3 minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Serve sprinkled with pine nuts.

3 comments:

MansTouch said...

Thanks for sharing your recipe, it seems very delightful. I'll definitely try this at home.
-----
Paris Cooking Classes

LynnaeEtta said...

I'm adding this recipe to my list, Becky, because I never can seem to figure out how to prepare swiss chard well! This looks delicious, though. :) Thanks for sharing!

Becky Smith Kuk said...

Let me know how it turns out! I used to have the same trouble with kale, but Justin discovered a great soup recipe for it. I'll post it soon.