Friday, December 25, 2009

Random Food Gift #12 - Merry Christmas!

Ah, Tea Time Tassies. Just the name gets me excited. My Mom loves these, and she is the dear friend that I made them for! Many a Christmas my Mom would make these and look pleased. I would take a bite and feel pleased. These delightful little cookies are so comforting to me. I love the name, I love the flavor, and I love the loose Christmas tradition they have become. The ingredients are simple and tasty - I used a combination of walnuts and maple syrup, but you can experiment with almonds and vanilla extract or pecans and butter. I hope you make these and feel as delighted as I do about them, and to all a very Merry Christmas!

Tea Time Tassies
Makes 24

Ingredients for the Crust

1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
3 ounces 1/3 less fat cream cheese
1/2 cup Earth Balance (trans fat free margarine)

Ingredients for the Filling

1 cup walnuts
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 egg
2 teaspoons pure maple syrup

1) Beat together the crust ingredients with a hand or stand mixer. Form dough into a ball and refrigerate for at least an hour.

2) Finely chop nuts and mix together with other filling ingredients in a bowl. Set aside.

3) Grease a mini muffin tin that has 24 cups. Roll dough into 24 balls. Press into muffin cups with thumb.

4) Spoon filling onto dough in slightly rounded teaspoon-fulls. (Don't overfill it - it's a pain to unstick the extra filling from pan!) Bake in a 325 degree oven for 20 minutes. To test if it's done, pop a tea time tassie out of the pan. If the crust is golden brown, it's done. Let cool slightly and remove from pan.

No comments: