Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Random Food Gift #5

Alright, I've had my share of mess ups with these random food gifts (flat biscuits, small muffins, too much ginger, crumbly granola bars...wow, I hope you still want to keep reading my food blog!) but this recipe is foolproof. Really! It's not a new recipe for me, but I've been wanting to post it for quite a while, and I figured it would make a great long-distance food gift.

Pepitas Trail Mix. "Pepitas" is Spanish for pumpkin seeds. More specifically, it's the inner green part of the pumpkin seed, toasted and lightly salted, and oh-so-tasty. It's got good fats and it helps curb hunger, which makes it great for trail mix. The only other ingredients in this simple mix are dark chocolate chips and dried cranberries. And there you go. I like to do a 2:1:1 ratio of pumpkin seeds to chocolate and cranberries, but you can fiddle around with it to achieve your perfect combination.

I sent this random food gift to my cousin Stephanie and her husband Brian. I received this email from her after they received it: "Imagine my surprise to look out on my porch this morning and discover that I was one of the lucky recipients of a Random Food Gift! What a lovely surprise! I had to wait all day for Brian to come home so we could sample it. How very DE-LICIOUS! Yum yum yum. We wanted to eat the whole jar in one sitting but managed to restrain ourselves!"

So, I hope you like it!

Pepitas Trail Mix

2 cups pepitas (green pumpkin seeds)
1 cup dried cranberries
1 cup dark chocolate chips

Mix together and store in a jar -- keeps for weeks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks again for the wonderful gift! We are enjoying it! Are you tired of baking random food gifts yet?

Becky Smith Kuk said...

I wouldn't say I'm tired of baking, but I am a little tired of typing out the ingredients lists! I'm looking forward to a Christmas break, and then I plan to start up again in January with some "real" food. Healthy whole grains, here I come!