Monday, December 21, 2009

Random Food Gift #8

When I saw this Almond Cake recipe in the Cooking Light Holiday cookbook, I immediately thought of my friends Kate and Drew. I don't know why, I guess it was because it looked sophisticated, like them and their house. And it might have also been because we cooked an almond-themed Supper Club dinner in Kate's kitchen. (For the Supper Club, some friends and I cook a delicious 5-course dinner and invite guests). I wanted to make this cake gluten-free, since Kate has been trying to avoid gluten, and since there are only 1 1/2 cups of flour in the recipe, I thought it could work. I used half soy flour and half almond meal instead of all-purpose wheat flour. You can use raw slivered almonds and grind them in a food processor to get almond meal, or you can find it a Trader Joe's for a good price (I don't recommend buying it at Whole Food's - it's way overpriced!). The gluten-free Almond Cake worked out great. The texture was perfect and the flavor was nutty and rich. This cake isn't too sweet, which I like, and it was loaded with crispy almonds. You could even serve it at a brunch; I bet it would pair well with a good cup of coffee.

Almond Cake
Yields 8 servings

Ingredients

3/4 cup soy flour
3/4 cup almond meal
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup sliced almonds, toasted and divided
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup low-fat milk
1/4 Earth Balance (trans fat-free margarine), melted
1/4 cup amaretto (or 1/4 cup water + 1/2 teaspoon almond extract)
2 large eggs, lightly beaten

Directions

1) Combine flour, sugar, 1/4 cup of almonds, baking powder, and salt and stir with a whisk.

2) Combine the rest of the ingredients (milk through eggs). Add to flour mixture and stir just until mixed.

3) Spoon batter into a greased 9 inch round cake pan and sprinkle with remaining 1/4 cup of almonds. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for almost 30 minutes or until a fork comes out clean when inserted in the middle. Cool 10 minutes in pan, then remove from pan and cool completely.

1 comment:

LynnaeEtta said...

Three cheers for gluten-free! This looks like a tasty cake, Becky. I can't wait to try it. :)