Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Baked Apples

I've been getting winter apples from my winter co-op. I didn't even know apples could be available in the winter! They don't compare to apples in the Fall, but they're still quite good. Eating a whole apple is a big commitment for me. I'm not sure why. I get tired of them after only a few bites, but then I'm stuck with a half-eaten apple. I created this recipe to spruce them up a bit and to get away with eating only half of an apple. I cut the apple in half, put it in a plastic container, and save it for the next day.

For this recipe I slice the apples and bake them in a toaster oven, which heats up more quickly and uses less energy (and therefore less money) to bake things. I finished off the fragrant apples with a drizzle of molasses and a sprinkle of flax seeds and toasted walnuts. It's so healthy! Go make it!

Baked Apples
Serves 1

1/2 of Granny Smith apple, cored and sliced into 6 pieces
1-2 tablespoons molasses
1-2 tablespoons flax seed
handful of toasted walnuts
sprinkle of cinnamon

1) On oiled baking sheet (I used the toaster oven baking sheet), arrange apple slices evenly. Bake at 400 degrees for 20-30 minutes, until soft (I used a toaster oven). During the last 5 minutes of baking, sprinkle walnuts over apples to toast.

2) When apples and walnuts are done, sprinkle with flax seed and cinnamon, and drizzle molasses over the top.

1 comment:

Barbie Chiu said...

Success is a choice not a dream. So, work hard for it and always be open-minded. Visit my site for more information. Have a good day and keep on moving forward for that success.

triciajoy.com

www.triciajoy.com