Thursday, July 22, 2010

What I Ate For Dinner Last Night

I just love summer produce! My food co-op has been providing me with some very tasty veggies. I've been using dependable recipes lately that had been previously posted on my blog, but I figured it's time for something new.

My husband says that cottage cheese is good on baked potatoes. Given my recent discovery of the versatility of cottage cheese, I decided to give it a try, along with sauteed mustard greens and cumin carrots. The beauty of these recipes is that I made them up as I went along, so you can too! If you don't have a certain herb or vegetable, substitute something else. It might even be better than the original.

If you aren't part of a food co-op (or community supported agriculture) I highly recommend it. You get to eat seasonally, eat fresh, and your menu is planned for you each week. You just choose how to prepare it.

In the summer, with so much bounty, I don't worry about choosing recipes ahead of time. As long as you make sure to have staples of dairy, sustainable meat, whole grains, olive oil, and seasonings on hand, you can make pretty much anything. I just pulled stuff out of the fridge and cabinets last night, and it turned out so well.

Baked Potatoes with Herbed Cottage Cheese
Serves about 4

A bunch of small to medium potatoes
3-4 whole cloves of garlic
About 1 cup cottage cheese
About 2-3 tablespoons chopped fresh herbs
Juice from 1/2 lemon
Salt and pepper

1) Preheat the toaster oven to 425 degrees. Lightly oil pan. Scrub potatoes and prick a few times with fork. Arrange potatoes and whole garlic cloves on pan and cover with foil. Bake for 30-40 minutes.

2) Choose your favorite herbs. From my garden I picked basil, rosemary, and lemon thyme. Anything you like would work well. Rinse, dry, and chop. Mix together with cottage cheese, lemon, salt, and pepper. If you choose to use dry herbs instead, use 2-3 teaspoons instead of tablespoons.

3) Remove potatoes from toaster oven. Mash garlic and either mix into cottage cheese or spread directly onto potatoes. Top potatoes with herbed cottage cheese.


Sauteed Mustard Greens
Serves 3-4

Huge bunch of mustard greens, rinsed and roughly chopped (about 8 cups or more)
1 red onion, sliced
1 heaping teaspoon whole peppercorns (or 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper)
3 small beets, scrubbed, peeled, and thinly sliced
Beet greens, rinsed and chopped
1 tablespoon olive oil
Sea salt

1) Heat the oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add peppercorns, red onion, and beets. Saute until almost tender, less than 10 minutes.

2) Add greens in batches. Cover to speed up the wilting process. Keep adding greens until all are wilted down. Add sea salt to taste.


Cumin Carrots
Serves 3-4

About 2 cups carrots, sliced diagonally 1/2" thick
1 teaspoon cumin seeds (or 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin)
1 tablespoon butter

1) Melt butter in pan over medium heat. Add cumin seeds and saute for a few minutes. Add carrots, cover until firm-tender, about 5 minutes.


There you go, you did it! A seasonal meal with fresh ingredients and pantry staples. Do you feel exhilarated? What is the tastiest way you've prepared veggies recently?

2 comments:

Steph said...

We love Swiss chard sauteed with a little bit of olive oil, tomato paste, onion and garlic. Soooo yummy! Now if only our neighbor lady would give us more Swiss chard! I'm going to have to try these cumin carrots!

Becky Smith Kuk said...

I love Swiss chard too. And to think -- I didn't even know what it was until I joined the food co-op last year! Tonight we're having Eggplant Parmesan Rolls with Swiss Chard . So good!