Friday, August 13, 2010

Lavender and Peaches

Lavender. Don't you just love that word? It's right up there with "violin." Something about the "v" and "n" combination is soothing to me. Speaking of soothing, lavender is known for its calming effect, and has been used as a natural remedy for insomnia, anxiety, and depression. Interestingly, in this amazing recipe I found online, lavender is paired with lemon, which is known for its energizing scent and bright flavor. I gave these Lavender Raisin Buns a try, and I must say, the recipe is a keeper. They are bright and refreshing and not too heavy. The only change I made was to use 1 cup of whole wheat flour in place of some of the all-purpose flour. The other thing I might change is the name...Lavender Lemon Rolls? Lovely Lavender Sweetbread? La La Lemony Lavender...


The other recipe I feel compelled to share with you was a random creation I came up with in the kitchen at my office earlier this week: Cottage Peaches. Or, Peaches and Cottage Cheese. Peaches and Cheese. You can pick the title. I was grabbing food from my refrigerator in the morning, not having anything in particular in mind, and I found myself at work with a peach and cottage cheese (for a snack -- don't think I only each a peach and cottage cheese in an 8 hour time frame!). I don't prefer cottage cheese on its own (see my previous post about my recent search for tasty cottage cheese recipes). So, to avoid plain cottage cheese, I halved the peach, scooped some cottage cheese on top, drizzled some honey (which was already at work for tea), and sprinkled it with cinnamon (I have no idea why we had cinnamon at work). The results? Very pleasant. I thought I only liked cottage cheese in savory recipes, but this was the first sweet recipe I enjoyed. And so easy too.



So easy, you probably don't need a recipe, but here it is anyways:

Peaches and Cottage Cheese
Serves 2

1 peach, halved and pitted
1/4 cup cottage cheese
1 tablespoon honey
1/8 teaspoon cinnamon

Place peach halves in bowls and layer with cottage cheese, honey, and cinnamon.

I gave you two recipes with potential name changes. What would you name them? What's the strangest-named recipe you've come across? (I think anything with "Delight" in the title is kind of a red flag. Like, "Veggie Delight" or "Lemon Delight Trifle"... Funny, I used to live in a neighborhood called "Ridgely's Delight", and I thought it was rather silly.)

3 comments:

LynnaeEtta said...

Becky, it's funny you write about lavender & lemon - I Just had the most delicious piece of cheesecake from a place called Marie Catrib's in Grand Rapid's, MI, that had a lemon frosting with dried lavender buds in it! it was incredible. :)

I'll have to see if I can replicate a GF version of these lavender/lemon buns - I love Mollie Katzen & the Moosewood cookbook, so I'll let you know what I come up with! :)

Hilary said...

becky, i love this post ( mostly because of all of the alliteration ) --- you, my dear, are a delight! ;)

Becky Smith Kuk said...

Wow Lynnae, that cheesecake does sound wonderful, even just for the fact that it was frosted. And Hilary, my huggable hilarious Hilary, I admire alliteration. I actually had to restrain myself in this post.