Wednesday, October 20, 2010

An Easy Dinner

On a scale of 1-10, I would probably have to give this dinner a 7 or 8. It wasn't incredible, but it filled me up just fine and made my taste buds happy. The beauty of these two unassuming recipes is that they're quick and easy to prepare. Not only that, but most of the ingredients are easily found on hand. I had leftover frozen cranberries from last Christmas (shh, don't tell anyone...they still tasted fine), I usually have apples, and broccoli is cheap and accessible. The only thing I actually had to buy for this dinner was an orange.

Herbed Broccoli Sandwich
By Gladys Longacre, published in Simply In Season
Serves 4

2 cups broccoli, finely chopped
1/2 cup onion, finely chopped
In large skillet saute 2 tablespoons olive oil until broccoli is bright green.

A few dashes each dried basil, thyme, pepper
1/2 teaspoon salt
Mix in to broccoli and onions.

4 slices French bread or your favorite bread
Top with broccoli mixture.

1 cup cheese, shredded (I used Havarti)
Sprinkle on top and broil until melted. Serve immediately.

Cranberry Apple Salad
by Mary Beth Lind, published in Simply In Season

1 pound whole cranberries (if using frozen, thaw first)
4 red apples, cored and diced
1 orange, peeled and diced
1 cup turbinado sugar
Mix ingredients together in large bowl. **Simply In Season suggest grinding it in a food processor to make it more like a relish for meat. However you prepare it, it's delicious!

What's your go-to meal when you're pressed for time? How would you make this meal a "10"?

2 comments:

Rebekah said...

Will you just come live here and cook for me? That just seems so much better than me doing myself and I bet it would taste better. Thanks for sharing all your great ideas.

Becky Smith Kuk said...

Oh, wouldn't that be fun, Becki? I could cook and nanny. Unfortunately, I'm in B-more and you're in Colorado. But, I'm coming to see you next year! Will you be around in late June/early August? Justin and I are going to Colorado!