Friday, October 29, 2010

Kale Potato Soup

I love soup. Especially in Autumn and Winter. It seems as though soup season is finally (really) here. Baltimore weather is so weird -- yesterday it was high 70's and muggy, and today it's low 60's and crisp and windy. I love it. I think there's even a frost warning this weekend. Hearty soup recipes are great to make into meals with the addition of crusty bread, a good salad, or a sandwich. So many options and combinations.

This Kale Potato Soup is so hearty and creamy that, if I hadn't made it myself, I would have guessed it had lots of cream and butter in it. Not so, my friends! Only 1 tablespoon of butter in it. (Side note -- I am not against butter or cream. They both have their places. But sometimes I want to lighten up on dairy. Other times I want to pair a soup with a heavier side and it's nice to balance things out.)

I used sweet potatoes instead of regular potatoes, and I loved it. It gave it a nice sweetness that was not over the top. I'd like to try with regular potatoes too and maybe add some bacon as a garnish. This little recipe will be my last highlight of Simply In Season, a) because it's time to move on to other gems in my cooking library and b) because I probably shouldn't reproduce the entire cookbook for you.

Kale Potato Soup
By Marie Harnish, published in Simply In Season
Serves 4

1 large bunch of kale, chopped
Steam and set aside. Don't cook it with the potatoes or the flavor will be too strong.

1 tablespoon butter
1 large onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
Melt butter in large stock pot. Add garlic and onion and saute until golden.


2 large potatoes or sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
5 cups vegetable broth (or 5 cups water with vegetable bouillon)*
Add and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer until potatoes are soft. Let cool a bit and puree in batches in a blender until smooth.

Salt and pepper to taste.

*If you like a creamier soup, you can substitute some of the water out for milk. I believe I used one cup of milk instead of water.

What is your favorite Autumn/Winter meal?


3 comments:

Emily Wilkins said...

Sounds delicious! I think I'm going to have to try it.

tsippor said...

Mmm what a delightful color for that soup! One of my favorite combos is kale, white beans, and sweet potatoes in a soup. Yum.

Becky Smith Kuk said...

Yes, I love the color. It makes me think of something silly, like Green Eggs and Ham. It's just not often I get to have green soup. I love white beans and kale too -- there's a good recipe for Rosemary Kale Soup on my blog that I love. My sister makes it often, and the last time she made it she forgot it was simmering and went for a run. When she got back, it had simmered away to concentrated bliss. She said it was almost as good as chocolate!