Thursday, November 4, 2010

Roasted Sweet Potatoes

Introducing the tuber of the season! That's right, folks, it's not actually a potato (and it's not a yam, either) but it's a tuber. And I love it. It's available every week through my community supported agriculture, and Justin has insisted we get it every week. Fine with me. This tuber is so versatile and tasty that I could probably get it every week for a year and still find new recipes to use it in.

Some favorite recipes I've come across include Sweet Potato and Apple Fritters, Sweet Potato Spice Cake with Brown Sugar Icing, Sweet Potato Ice Cream, Fusion-Spiced Sweet Potato Soup, and Sweet Potato Bison Chili (I know this link brings you to a recipe for turkey chili with pumpkin, but I've used sweet potatoes and bison instead with delicious results. Actually, you can find my version here). Yum!

This recipe is simple as can be: roasted sweet potato, good yogurt, a drizzle of maple syrup, and toasted pecans. Wondrous. Try it - it's so easy that it seems it can't possibly be as delicious as it is!

Roasted Sweet Potato
Serves 4

4 medium sweet potatoes
1 cup plain or vanilla yogurt
4 tablespoons real maple syrup
1 cup pecans, chopped and toasted

1) Heat oven to 400 degrees (use the toaster oven if you're making just one or two).
2) Scrub and assess your sweet potatoes. Pick out any eyes or weird spots.
3) Wrap each potato in foil and into the oven it goes, straight on the rack.
4) Bake for 45-60 minutes until tender.
5) Remove from foil and mash a bit. Top each potato with 1/4 cup yogurt, 1 tablespoon maple syrup, and 1/4 cup of pecans.

Do you have a favorite sweet potato recipe?

1 comment:

tsippor said...

Sweet potatoes!!!

I made sweet potato muffins this morning:
http://www.yourveganmom.com/your_vegan_mom/2008/04/ive-turned-a-co.html

And sweet potato falafel!
http://www.101cookbooks.com/archives/baked-sweet-potato-falafel-recipe.html

Yum. I love those tubers.