Monday, November 22, 2010

Sweet Potatoes...Again!


Somehow November got away from me. I've made more than just sweet potatoes for the past month, I promise. But nothing that was very blog worthy. So, I bring you yet another recipe for sweet potatoes. Hey, at least it's appropriate! Last year around this time I posted a recipe for a delicious soup/stew that had nothing to do with Thanksgiving.

This recipe is so versatile that you can have it as a decadent side, a light dessert, or even as part of a brunch. I love it. It's so easy, and you can adapt it as you wish without messing it up. I found the original version somewhere on Epicurious and made some changes. I took out a bunch of the sugar, the eggs, and the heavy cream. You can experiment with adding all those things, especially if you're having it as a dessert, but I think sweet potatoes are sweet enough. I really wanted to enjoy the essence of them with the added bonus of a crunchy streusel topping. Are you salivating yet? Add it to your Thanksgiving line-up. Enjoy!

Sweet Potato Streusel
Adapted from Bon Apetit July 1995
Serves 4-6

2 lbs sweet potatoes
3 tablespoon crystallized ginger, minced and divided
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 tablespoons whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons butter
1/2 cup pecans, chopped
1/2 cup unsweetened coconut

1) Peel sweet potatoes and dice them into 2 inch cubes. Combine with enough water to cover them in a large pot and boil until tender. Drain water and mash. Stir in 2 tablespoons of crystallized ginger. Spread in a 2 quart square baking dish.

2) Combine remaining ingredients together in large bowl. Mix until it resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over the sweet potatoes.

3) Bake in a pre-heated 350 degree oven for 40 minutes.

No comments: