Monday, December 13, 2010

Healthy Breakfast for the Holidays (Part II)

A couple of weeks ago I bought some spinach from the neighborhood farm that I'm involved in. The spinach was young and sweet. I wanted to do something spectacular with it for dinner but, alas, my meals were already planned. I needed to use it before it went bad so I threw it in a frittata. Have you made one before? They're ridiculously easy.

I hadn't made one in a long time so I needed to find a good template to follow. Alice Waters saved the day with "The Art of Simple Food." I went off of her recipe for chard frittata, but replaced the chard with spinach and added Havarti cheese and sun-dried tomatoes. The Havarti was nice, but next time I make this frittata I think I'll use feta instead, since it's such a winning combination with spinach.

I sauteed the spinach and onion and added the remaining ingredients the night before. The next morning, I heated up an oven-proof skillet, dumped in the frittata mixture, and cooked it for about 7 minutes. Then I finished it off in the oven for another 10 minutes or so. The result was eating a special breakfast with Justin at 6:15 am before we went off to work. That's the beauty of this recipe. If you have a half hour the night before, you can get this all ready to make for your holiday guests. It's a healthy breakfast (with veggies, even!) that doesn't take forever to make.

Spinach Frittata
Adapted from Alice Waters' recipe
Serves 6


1 bunch spinach
Wash spinach and chop into ribbons.

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, sliced thin
Heat oil in a heavy pan over medium heat. Add onion, cook for 5 minutes then add spinach. Cook until spinach is tender. Add a splash of water if pan dries out.

6 large eggs
Salt
1 teaspoon olive oil
Fresh-ground black pepper
Pinch of cayenne pepper
4 garlic cloves, chopped
1/2 cup sun-dried tomatoes, chopped
1/2 cup feta
Lightly beat eggs. Add remaining ingredients along with spinach and onion mixture. (This is the part where you can store the mixture in the fridge overnight if you'd like to cook the frittata the next morning).

1-2 tablespoons olive oil
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Thoroughly heat a 10-inch skillet on the stove. Add the olive oil. After a few seconds, pour in the egg mixture. As the eggs set on the bottom, lift up the edges to let the uncooked egg flow underneath. Continue to cook until mostly set. Slide the skillet into the oven and bake for another 7-10 minutes until the frittata is set on top.

4 comments:

tpeterr said...

There's nothing so yummy as a good frittata: a tad easier than a quiche, with all the same great flavor and no cheese.

I usually do spinach too, but I made one last week using turnips from the market. It took longer, since I had to chop and steam the greens. I also sauteed the turnip roots, a few red potatoes, garlic, onions, and a little smoked ham. It was good enough that I had it for lunch for three days while Sarah was gone.

We need to cook for you guys sometime soon!

tsippor said...

I love frittatas as much as I love Spanish Tortillas (think: frittata with layers of thinly sliced potatoes). My favorite is to whip a mayonaise and crush some fresh garlic in it, then spread this over the tortilla slices. Yum.

Becky Smith Kuk said...

Pete, you do need to cook for us! Just name the date. Candice, I had planned to post a Spanish Tortilla last week, but then it stuck to the pan too much and didn't look pretty enough. I'll post it eventually, though, since I have a steady stream of eggs.

LynnaeEtta said...

I love frittatas! Especially with potatoes (spanish style). I also love Alice Waters; the simplicity of her recipes is invigorating and inspiring. :) I'll have to try this one - I haven't tried spinach myself, although I completely agree that feta pairs so nicely with it.