Thursday, January 27, 2011

Beef Barley Shiitake Soup

This delightful recipe was given to me by a sweet couchsurfer from Washington State who, along with her husband, stayed with us a couple of weeks ago. We had a great time talking about food, baking, and her dream to start a bed and breakfast someday. After a quick search on the internet, I found that the recipe is from Woman's Day magazine. It's so delicious, I think this will be my new go-to recipe for beef stew.

Which is kind of funny, because I never had a go-to recipe for beef stew. I've probably made beef stew once in my life before. I don't dislike it; I grew up eating it and it reminds me of home. But I limit how much meat I eat, mainly because animals use up a lot of resources when they are raised. In addition, I don't crave meat like I do vegetables and grains (and chocolate and wine). Seriously -- if I go away for a weekend and cannot control the food that is provided to me, and if there are not enough vegetables, I come home craving them. It all started when I signed up two years ago for a CSA (community supported agriculture) and received eight different types of veggies every week. It's wonderful.

I didn't plan to write this post about sustainable meat, but I guess it's inevitable whenever I post a recipe involving meat. Justin and I joked the other day that the "Beef. It's what's for dinner." campaign would have been more appropriate if it was something like "Beef. It's once a week."

With that, I give you this delicious recipe for beef, provided by Woman's Day (of all places) and discovered by a new friend. Enjoy!

Beef Barley Shitake Soup
Woman's Day November 2010
Serves 4-6


1 teaspoon oil
12 ounces lean beef cubes (or bison) for stew, cut into bite-size pieces
Heat 1 tsp oil in a 5-quart pot over medium-high heat. If you want to get fancy, dry each cube of beef before cutting it to aid in browning. Add beef in 3 batches; cook 4 to 5 minutes or until browned. With slotted spoon, transfer beef to plate. If you use bison, the cooking time will be shorter. If you use a pound of beef (16 ounces), well, now you have some extra to nibble on while you wait for the soup to cook.

2 teaspoons oil
1 large onion, chopped
2 large carrots, diced
Add oil to pot. Sauté onion and carrots 3 minutes.

12 oz shiitake mushrooms, stems discarded and caps sliced (I used half crimini mushrooms, since shiitakes are kind of pricey)
2 tsp minced garlic
Add mushrooms and garlic; sauté 3 minutes more.

4 cups chicken broth (or 4 cups water with chicken bouillon added)
2 cups water
1/2 cup barley (not quick-cooking)
3/4 tsp kosher salt, or to taste
1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
Return beef to pot. Add broth, water, barley, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 30 minutes or until meat and barley are tender. Season with salt to taste.

Did you grow up eating beef stew? What made it special?

No comments: