Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Basil Lemonade

It was 102 degrees on the day I made this lemonade. Super high humidity. Luckily (or unluckily) I was home sick from work that day, so I only ventured out to water my garden(s), but wow, that was enough. Half an hour outside and I was covered in sweat. Justin got home in the afternoon. "Want me to make you some lemonade?" Sure! Picked a couple handfuls of basil and went to town.

I always buy lemons by the bag now. Who knows when you'll need some? They last for a while, and I always find an excuse to use them up before they go bad. When watering my garden, I noticed some of the basil leaves were huge. Better pinch those off soon, I thought. Even if just to feed them to the chickens for a snack. But then, lemonade is a much more fun use for basil.

Have you ever used herbs to infuse a recipe? To give it a hint of flavor and a lovely aroma? I don't have a lot of experience with infusion, aside from making a few mojitos with mint, but it's fun to use fresh herbs in ways other than cooking. I recently bought infused lavendar strawberry jam. It was pretty amazing.


Make this lemonade on a hot day, do some yard/house work, and then sit back and enjoy.

Basil Lemonade
Serves 2-3

Printable Recipe

2 lemons, juiced (about 1/2 cup juice and pulp)
3 T raw sugar
1/2 cup hot water
3 cups ice water
10-12 large basil leaves (reserve a few for a garnish)
Juice lemons and pick out seeds. Pour in large pitcher or jar (invite the pulp along, too). Combine sugar and hot water in separate bowl and stir until sugar is melted, then add to lemon juice. Crush basil with mortar and pestle, and add to lemon mixture. Add ice water, pour into glasses with ice, and garnish with basil leaves.

Other posts you may enjoy:

Cottage Cheese with Lemon, Pepper, and Salt

Rustic Lemon Cornmeal Cake

2 comments:

DavEd said...

Do you do the photography for your site - pretty amazing. I do plan to use this recipe for the block party on the 12th, though if we get some good berries early I am tempted to add them to it. But it's probably way to early for that.

Becky Smith Kuk said...

Yes, I do all the photography. Thanks!