Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Buffalo Mushroom Burgers [Summer]

Summer's here. Not according to the calendar, but according to my wardrobe, my tan lines, and the strawberries in my front yard. In honor of summer, I'm going to focus on blog posts that capture the bests things of summer. Ingredients, yes, that's key, but also the feeling of summer. The glass of lemonade, the cookout on the back deck, the bike ride across town to your favorite restaurant with outdoor seating. What images come to mind when you think of summer and food that are part of your history?

Recently I made buffalo mushroom burgers for the meal share group I'm in. The burgers turned out great, but even better was grilling them on the back deck at dusk, turning on the twinkly lights strung outside, lighting a candle, and enjoying the burger with a glass of chilled white wine. That's summer.

I'm looking forward to fresh salads. I already gushed over my growing herb garden and the wonders of dashing out to grab a handful of fresh herbs to throw into a dish at the last minute. I have strawberries, raspberries, and a fig tree, and I might even get a grape vine this year. Arugula is growing in boxes on the deck, lettuce in the backyard, and tomatoes and peppers in the community garden plot. (Is this making you want to start gardening yet? And I don't have a lot of land, either!) As much as I complain about the heat in Baltimore, summer is just so full! Full of good food, summery moments, being barefoot, and traveling to see friends and family.

I will continue to swoon over the bounty of summer in my upcoming posts, but for now I will share my recipe for buffalo mushroom burgers. Enjoy it at a picnic table for the full effect.

Buffalo Mushroom Burgers
Serves 6 or more, depending on how big you like your burgers

Printable Recipe

I made up this recipe according to what I knew about making burgers from watching my mom, and from what I felt the ingredients should be. Feel free to adjust according to how you make burgers. Also, buffalo cooks much more quickly than beef, so monitor closely.

1 onion (about 3/4 cup)
1/2 pound crimini mushrooms
olive oil, about 2 tablespoons
Cut onion into chunks and pulse with mushrooms in food processor until finely chopped. Saute together with oil in large skillet for about 10-15 minutes until soft. Let cool slightly and pour in large mixing bowl.

1 pound ground buffalo meat (bison)
1 egg
1/2 cup bread crumbs (I had stale whole wheat bread in the freezer that I toasted and crushed)
salt
pepper
Add to onion and mushroom mixture. I used about 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Mix together and form into 6 patties. Grill until no longer pink. Bison meat cooks much more quickly than beef, so monitor carefully.

6 whole grain buns
6 slices sharp white cheddar
2 avocados, mashed
a few handfuls fresh salad greens
Build your burger any way you like it. I love them with sharp white cheddar since it goes so well with mushrooms and onions, and I finished it off with some cool avocado and fresh salad greens.

Other posts you may enjoy:

Bison Chili

Salmon Burgers

1 comment:

SC Ramsey said...

Husband & I made Lamb Burgers once. We simply shaped ground lamb around a piece of mozzarella cheese and grilled it. So delicious that you didn't even consider any toppings.

Buffalo, mushrooms, and cheddar remind me of chili. Perhaps summer burgers are the equivalent of chili....