Friday, July 15, 2011

Apricot Pie

Sounds pretty unassuming, right? Pie. Apricot. Ho hum. Oh, think again...!

I went to the farmers market and saw some lovely apricots. Remembered a recipe I had seen for the "world's easiest pie" that featured apricots. Doesn't take much inspiration for me to bake. In fact, it's usually teetering on the edge of all-I-can-think-about-is-food and have-to-bake-right-now.

Which is what I did, last Wednesday, after coasting to a stop on my bike, hefting the market finds out of my baskets, and lumbering inside. A quick pat on the kitty's head, a glass of lemonade, and whoosh -- I'm off! Oven on, recipes scrutinized, apron tied, here I go.

Justin arrived home shortly after. "What are you doing?" he asked pleasantly. With a sheepish grin, I respond, "Oh, I'm making pie. Just because." And then I launched into how beautiful the apricots were, and how I found this great recipe for a whole grain pie crust, and how I have to take advantage of all of the wonderful fruit that is in season.


So here it is, people. Serve it with homemade frozen yogurt.

Apricot Pie
Makes 1 pie or 2 miniature pies
Adapted from Easy Whole Grain Pie Crust from Perry's Plate, and World's Easiest Pie from Ruth Reichl

Whole Grain Pie Crust
Makes a top and a bottom crust. For this recipe, you just need one crust. Either halve recipe, or make a full recipe and freeze (because you know you'll want to make another pie). Also, I think you might be able to get away with 1 stick of butter. This seemed a little too buttery, which is hard to believe, but there you have it. I used a mix of flours, so feel free to use all whole wheat, or experiment with other flours.

1/4 cup ice water
1 egg
1 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons spelt flour
1/2 cup barley flour
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 to 1 1/2 half sticks unsalted butter, frozen
Grate butter unto plate and freeze until needed. Whisk together flours and salt in medium bowl. Measure ice water into bowl and beat egg into it. Add frozen grated butter to flour mixture and mix until butter bits are covered in flour. Pour egg water mixture over and stir. Add 1-2 tablespoons ice water if it is too dry. Gather dough into a lump. Freeze half for the next time you make a pie, and roll out the other half. For this version, I used two mini pie plates. Roll out, using extra flour to prevent sticking, and transfer to pie plate. It works well to place wax paper or plastic wrap on top of the pie once you roll it out, and then carefully nudge it up with a spatula to roll it over the wax paper. Then you can unroll it onto the pie plate. Press gently into pie plate, trim the edges, and crimp. Place in the fridge while the oven preheats (425 degrees) and prepare the filling.


Apricot Pie Filling and Topping

2 pounds apricots (you may not be able to cram them all into the mini pies, but you should be able to with one big pie)
3/4 stick unsalted butter, melted
3/4 cup raw sugar (or brown sugar)
1/3 cup cup whole wheat flour
1/3 cup oats
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
Break apart apricots with your hands. Place into prepared pie crust. Mix remaining ingredients and crumble over top. Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 375 degrees and bake for 35-40 minutes longer until crust and topping are golden brown. If you are making mini pies, reduce the second bake to 25-30 minutes and then check.

Other posts you may enjoy


Apricot White Chocolate Oatmeal Bars


Pistachio Apricot Oatmeal Cookies

Printable Recipe

4 comments:

Anita said...

Looks and sounds delicious...can't wait to get to try it myself. Wonder if there will be any apricots at our Farmer's Market tomorrow...a girl can only hope! Have a great weekend! :)

SC Ramsey said...

Wish I could snitch some of the leftovers for breakfast.

Grating frozen butter ... I'm intrigued by this technique. Have you ever had another recipe call for this?

Becky Smith Kuk said...

Anita, you can also use peaches or berries. But I do hope you find apricots! They're here for such a short time that it's nice to enjoy them when they come. Sarah, I got the idea for grating frozen butter from somewhere out there in the baking world. It makes it easier to work with, and it stays cool because it's frozen. Justin wandered over and almost ate some before I told him it's not cheese, it's butter. :)

LynnaeEtta said...

pretty arrangement, Becky! I love the monogrammed cloth :)