Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Road Trip 2011: Denver/Fort Collins

Friends, I must say that the Denver area has surprised me with it's food and beer. Not that I had doubts, but you know, I have been most looking forward to San Francisco and the huge foodie scene there that I didn't take time to stop and think about Denver.


It began when we arrived and our friend Jeni took us to a free jazz concert at City Park. She brought along with her hummus, baba ghanoush, an olive tapenade, chips, Cupcake wine, chocolate...oh, it was delightful. We barely noticed the music since we were so busy eating and catching up.


The following day seemed like three days. After driving all weekend it was a welcome change to have activities. We had a nice breakfast of yogurt, granola, and fruit on the deck. We drove to New Belgium Brewery in Fort Collins and had a private tour (thanks to my former boss's sister, who works there) and sampled amazing beers, learned about how it is made, and were awed by the worker-owned co-op that is New Belgium. We got lunch at an old hippie place and Justin and I split a falafel sub and a Greek wrap. After a swim in a nearby lake, we headed back to Denver and cleaned up for dinner. We ended up at a cafe where I could build my own salad. It was perfect with arugula, sun-dried tomatoes, avocado, goat cheese, smoky portabellos, and balsamic vinaigrette. For dessert, I had a "scout cookie" -- a sweet potato chocolate coconut concoction that I need to learn how to recreate.


Today Justin hiked a 14,000 foot mountain. Crazy? Yes. But he did it, and he loved it, and now he's limping on calloused feet. He ate three burritos, and more, when he got back. While he was gone, Jeni and I went for a bike ride, ate more delicious food, did a little shopping, and got some sorbet. A great day. Now we're at our friends Becki and Michael's house and we made them dinner. I chose an easy recipe with sweet potatoes and black beans that I would love to share with you. I know I had said there wouldn't be any recipes for the next month, but I guess you got lucky.

Justin's hike
Next stop? Zion National Park!


Sweet Potato Black Bean Burritos
From Simply In Season
Serves 4

3 cups sweet potatoes (peeled and diced)
1 onion (chopped)
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Saute in large frying pan in olive oil just till tender.

2 cups black beans
1 teaspoon ground cumin
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
Add and cook until heated through.

8 whole grain tortillas
1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
Divide bean mixture and cheese among the tortillas and roll up. Place in a 9x13 pan. Lightly spray with olive oil if desired. Cover pan with foil and bake at 350F for 20-25 minutes. Garnish with sour cream, salsa, and fresh cilantro.

Printable Recipe

Other posts you may enjoy:

Sweet Potato Sausage Calzones

"A Taste of Home" Black Beans

No comments: