Monday, July 11, 2011

Sugar Snap Pea Salad

Last week, after a lot of morning chores on a hot day, Justin made this refreshing salad that I had dog-eared in the new issue of Bon Appetit magazine. It was quick and simple and delicious.

Normally, when I buy sugar snap peas, I like them enough to eat them raw as a snack without doing anything fancy. When I came across this recipe I got a little excited, since I figured it would spruce them up a bit, and we could use the radishes that needed to be plucked out of the raised garden bed in our front yard. It was also an excuse to use some amazing sheep's milk feta we had on hand.

The salad came together in twenty minutes or so. I was so grateful Justin had time to make it, since I had a lot of stuff to do that day. I was able to just come downstairs, sit down, and photograph. And then eat.


Sugar Snap Pea Salad
From Bon Appetit July 2011
Serves 8 sides, or 2-3 main dishes

You can find sumac from Middle Eastern markets, Penzey's, or, in my case, my neighbor.

1 1/2 half pounds sugar snap peas, trimmed, stringed, and cut in half on a diagonal
Fill a large bowl with ice water and set aside. Cook peas in large pot of salted boiling water until crisp-tender, about 2 minutes. Drain and place peas in ice water. Transfer to kitchen towel and pat dry.

3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
1/2 teaspoon sumac, plus more for garnish
Whisk together in small bowl. 
 
1 bunch (about 6 ounces) radishes, trimmed and thinly sliced
4 ounces feta or ricotta salata
fresh ground black pepper and salt
2 tablespoons fresh mint, coarsely chopped
Toss together with peas in large bowl. Add dressing and toss to coat. Season with salt and pepper. Garnish with mint and more sumac.


Printable Recipe

Other posts you may enjoy:

Beet Walnut Salad

Cilantro Feta Scramble

1 comment:

LynnaeEtta said...

mmmm.....

'nough said. :)