Monday, February 6, 2012

Sweet Potato Soup

Hey peeps. My first week of being thirty was grand. I got back into biking since spraining my wrist (I've been able to do everything else normally for a while now, but shifting gears was still painful until recently). I hosted a brunch. I went to a friend’s apartment warming party and had the best ever flan. And, I made this soup.


As promised, I have for you a lovely veggie centric recipe. This sweet potato soup is one of my favorites, and as I was photographing it, I thought, “I must have already posted this.” But I checked, and no, it’s a new one for you.

Sweet potatoes are a common rotation in my house. My husband declared he could eat them every day, and I’m sure with as many forms as there are to roast, bake, cook, or shred them, that would be true. Whenever he sees them nestled in with the onions underneath the counter, or out waiting  to be prepped, he lets out a loud, ‘’Oooooohh! Sweet potatoes!” The way to his heart.

This soup combines the natural sweetness of the tuber with a deep variety of spices like fresh ginger, cinnamon, curry, and cayenne. If you do not like spicy soups, cut the cayenne down a bit, but not completely. A dollop of plain yogurt or sour cream on top cuts the heat, and a sprinkle of roasted peanuts adds a nice crunch. If you’re avoiding dairy, just leave out the half a cup of milk added at the end.

Enjoy this soup with some crusty bread for dipping and a cool drink.


Sweet Potato Soup
Recipe from North Carolina Sweet Potato Commission
Serves 10-12

2 tablespoons butter or oil
2 tablespoons grated fresh ginger (or 1 tablespoon dried)
3 stalks celery, finely chopped
1 large onion, finely chopped
Melt butter in large pot over medium heat. Add ginger, celery, and onion. Cook until soft.

1 tablespoon curry powder
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (reduce to 1/8 teaspoon if not using the milk)
1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
Add to onions and cook 1 minute, stirring continuously.

2 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
6 cups chicken broth (homemade if you have it!)
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1 small bay leaf
3/4 teaspoon salt or to taste
1/2 teaspoon pepper
Add and increase heat to high. Bring to a boil, cover, and reduce heat. Simmer 25 minutes or until potatoes are soft. Transfer soup in batches to blender, or use an immersion blender.

1/2 cup milk (optional)
sour cream or plain yogurt to garnish
chopped roasted peanuts to garnish (can sub roasted sunflower seeds instead)
Add milk to thin soup if desired. Ladle into bowls and top with yogurt and peanuts. Serve with crusty bread.

Printable Recipe

Other recipes you might like:

Kale Potato Soup

Sweet Potato Sausage Calzone

Roasted Sweet Potato Salad

No comments: