Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins


I think it is time for another muffin recipe, wouldn't you say? By now, you probably know I am a big fan of muffins. Scones and pastries are nice, but there is nothing like a good, hearty muffin. This seasonal muffin celebrates rhubarb. One of my favorite combinations is strawberry rhubarb, whether it be pie, crisp, or muffin. So I was excited to pick up some strawberries and rhubarb at the farmers market last weekend.

I planted rhubarb in my yard, and it is already poking its leafy greens through the soil, with a bit of red stalk starting to appear. If you ever grow rhubarb, beware of the leaves, which are mildly poisonous.

The recipe comes from Simply in Season, a Mennonite cookbook that groups its recipes according to the seasons. The original recipe is for just rhubarb muffins, which I would like to try someday, but this time I cut down on the rhubarb and added strawberries. I also used a blend of spelt and white whole wheat flours. I like my muffins less sweet, so I cut back on the sugar. With the crumble topping, there is just enough sweetness to balance out the less sugary muffin.



Strawberry Rhubarb Muffins
Adapted from Simply in Season
Makes 8 muffins on the large side

1 1/2 cups spelt flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
Mix in medium bowl and set aside.

1 cup buttermilk, plain yogurt, or cottage cheese
1/2 cup brown sugar (can use up to 3/4 cup if you like sweeter muffins)
1/2 cup oil
1 egg
2 teaspoons vanilla
Mix together in a separate large bowl. Add dry ingredients and stir just until combined.

3/4 cup diced rhubarb
3/4 cup sliced strawberries
1/2 cup nuts (optional -- I didn't use any)
Stir into batter, being careful not to overmix. Divide into greased muffin pan cups.

1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon butter
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 teaspoon flour
Sprinkle on top. Bake in preheated oven at 375 degrees about 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool in pan for a few minutes, then remove and finish cooling on rack.

Printable Recipe

Other posts you might like:

Blueberry Squash Muffins

Strawberry Rhubarb Crisp


No comments: