Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Plum Pancakes


How is your summer going? I have been gallivanting around Michigan, visiting friends in New York City, and starting my business. Michigan held family, beach, a wedding, and cooler weather. New York City had incredible bagels, lots of good food, long-lost friends, and humidity. And my business? Oh yes, it is in its beginning stages. I registered for sole proprietor of Rising Up Bakery, found a commercial kitchen to bake out of, and lined up a couple of farmers markets to sell granola at. It has been a slow process of permits, fees, and setting up the framework of my business, but I'm hoping to start selling in two weeks.

Fun at Lake Michigan
It's stone fruit season, friends. Peaches, nectarines, apricots, plums. I love to eat a perfectly ripe peach that falls right off the pit. Apricots are lovely in tarts, and plums are great fresh, sauteed with honey, or in pancakes. Red plums showed up quite nicely in these pancakes, and I imagine they would be great in muffins too. On a recent Saturday morning, I woke up knowing exactly what I wanted for breakfast. I pulled out my Good to the Grain book by Kim Boyce and turned to the oatmeal pancake recipe. The recipe calls for oat flour which, if you don't have, you can grind up plain oats in a blender or food processor to make some.



Plum Pancakes
Adapted from Good to the Grain
Makes about 15 pancakes

3/4 cups oat flour
1 cup white whole wheat flour
2 tablespoons sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
Whisk together in large bowl. Set aside.

3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 1/4 cups milk
1 cup cooked oatmeal
1 tablespoon unsulphured molasses (not blackstrap)
2 eggs
Mix together in separate bowl. Add to flour and stir just until combined.

about 1 cup red plums, pitted and cut into bite size pieces
butter
fresh ricotta or yogurt
honey
Stir plums into batter. Pour batter by 1/4 cup on preheated, lightly buttered griddle or pan. When small bubbles appear, flip over to brown other side. Serve hot dolloped with fresh ricotta or yogurt and drizzled with honey.

Printable Version

Other recipes you might like:
Peach Pancakes
Carrot Pancakes
Fresh Fig Pancakes

No comments: