Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Birthday Omelets


For Justin's birthday breakfast on Sunday, I made omelets. I like how this photo shows both our similarities and differences. His breakfast is on the left, mine is on the right. I gave him the fuller cup of coffee because sometimes I get headaches from too much coffee, and I take my coffee with cream. He gets a three egg omelet, I get two eggs. He gets four strawberries, I didn't even eat the ones on my plate because I had been snacking on them while cooking (I need food right when I wake up, he can wait a bit). I take butter on my toast, he uses jam or peanut butter, even on this amazing fig-anise-walnut bread. Little differences that don't matter, but I like to observe them.

On the day before Justin's birthday we had planned to hike. It looked like thunderstorms for the afternoon, so we decided to swim together at the park pool. Then, after discovering that the forecast was not as bad as we thought, we went for our hike anyways. After three hours, I curled up in a meadow while Justin ran ahead to get the car and pick me up. This pregnant girl was very tired after! 

I also made Justin salty caramel ice cream that turned out alright, but a little sweet for my taste. And, I cleaned out his closet. When I told him cleaning out his closet was part of his birthday gift, he looked really happy. "Really?" I asked. "Are you as excited as I am?" Oh yes, he assured me, his small closet had been getting out of control for quite a while, and it will be nice to have an organized closet before school starts. I love to organize, and after I finished I proudly showed him his new and improved closet. He was pleased, though not so much as me. Sometimes I open his closet door just to admire how everything is in its place.



Do you like to make omelets for breakfast? Or even lunch or dinner? They are satisfying for any meal. And you can use up bits of vegetables, half cut onions, nubs of cheese, anything you have. I love them, as I love most egg dishes. This time around, I used golden cherry tomatoes from our garden and paired it with goat cheese. I minced onion and sauteed that first, then combined it with the egg. To top it off, I sprinkled fresh basil on top.

Instead of giving you an actual recipe for these omelets, I'm going to give you tips on how to make a great omelet, and then list winning flavor combinations.

How to Make a Great Omelet
- Start with fresh eggs
- Crack 2-3 eggs into a small bowl. Add a bit of salt and pepper and whisk. If you want, you can saute minced onion ahead of time and add that too. You can also add dried herbs.
- Heat a small saute pan over medium low heat. If using stainless steel, I find that butter works better than oil to prevent sticking.
- When the pan is hot, add the butter/oil and make sure a thin layer coats the bottom and sides of the pan.
- Whisk the eggs and pour into the pan. It should sizzle, but not smoke.
- After the bottom sets a bit (maybe a minute or less), slide a thin, rubber, heat-proof spatula around the edges, tilting the pan so that the runny egg on top can slide underneath. Do this around the pan until most of the runny egg is cooked.
- At this point, some people put a lid on the pan to finish the cooking, but I prefer to flip my omelet. Using a wide spatula or a large, flexible rubber spatula, slide it underneath the omelet. Give it a flip (this may take practice).
- Immediately add your filling to half of the omelet. After the bottom cooks for 30 seconds or so, fold over your omelet, while still in the pan, to allow the filling to heat through. You can turn off the heat and cover it at this point if you're still waiting for your bread to toast.
- When I have fresh herbs, I like to sprinkle those on top instead of cooking them with the egg or adding them as a filling. I find they get too wilted that way. However, dried herbs are good to add to the egg mixture.


Favorite Omelet Combinations
- Fresh tomato and goat cheese, with fresh basil on top.
- Mushroom and cheddar
- Cheddar and onion
- Spinach and swiss
- Pesto and gruyere
- Sun-dried tomato and Parmesan (or goat cheese)
- Feta and mixed vegetables
- Roasted butternut squash or sweet potato and rosemary

There are so many! Am I forgetting any? What is your favorite type of omelet?

Other recipes you might like:
Cilantro Feta Scramble
Eggs and Toast
Mushroom and Cheddar Omelet

No comments: