Wednesday, March 6, 2013

The Best Chocolate Chip Cookies


Do you need a neat little baking project? Let it be these cookies. They are my favorite. Huge chunks of dark chocolate. Buttery indulgence. Whole wheat goodness. They are from one of my favorite baking books, Good to the Grain, by Kim Boyce. She organizes her chapters according to flours. Whole wheat, spelt, corn, amaranth, quinoa, barley, oat...you peruse each chapter thinking, "I'm going to make that next. No that. Wait, this one first." And many times I go back to my old favorites. These are now my go-to chocolate chip cookies.


Don't be scared to use all whole wheat flour. It adds a nice, nutty flavor. The loads of butter (2 sticks!) make the cookies chewy and counter balance the whole grains. Now, I know what you're thinking. Two sticks of butter? Healthy eating is great. But it doesn't have a place when it comes to cookies. A cookie should be a cookie. Just indulge. And find friends to share the rest of the batch with, because these are addicting.

The original recipe says to use 3 tablespoons of cookie dough for one cookie, and bake for 16-20 minutes. These would make cookies the size of your palm. I prefer to have smaller cookies so that I can have two. I use a heaping tablespoon and bake for less time. So, if you make them smaller, check them early depending on how hot/cool your oven runs.


Chocolate Chip Cookies
From Good to the Grain
Makes 20-30, depending on how big you make them

Dry Mix:
3 cups whole wheat flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt

Wet Mix:
8 ounces (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature, cut into chunks
1 cup dark brown sugar
1 cup sugar
2 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract

8 ounces bittersweet chocolate (I used 70%) roughly chopped into 1/2 inch pieces

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment. Mix together the dry ingredients in a large bowl. 

Add the butter and sugars to the bowl of a standing mixer. Mix on low speed just until butter and sugars are blended, about 2 minutes. Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add the eggs, one at a time, mixing until combined.

Mix in the vanilla. Add the flour mixture and blend on low speed until the flour is barely combined. Scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl. Add the chocolate all at once; mix until evenly combined. 

At this point, you can either scoop out 3 tablespoons of dough to make large cookies (and bake 16-20 minutes) or do 1 heaping tablespoon, and bake for 8-10 minutes. I like them on the softer sides, so don't go exactly by the time I give you. Check them early, and take them out when the bottoms are just starting to turn golden (I call it the "flip test.")

Transfer cookies to rack. Eat warm or let cool and store in airtight container. 

Other recipes you might like:
Honey Graham Cookies
Chocolate Ricotta Mousse


1 comment:

The McIlrath Family said...

I agree. A cookie should be a cookie. I just discovered your blog. I am going to try your skillet bread tomorrow.