Thursday, March 5, 2015

Birthday Pancakes


I am a distracted person these days. I've had this recipe, photographed and all, sitting for over a month. Between my two-year-old, my pregnancy, my house, and my two part time jobs (nanny two days a week and write note cards for a real estate agency), there is little time to pursue my hobbies.

One of my favorite things to do is be alone. In moderation, of course. I cherish the mornings when I can get up before Evelyn and sit in quiet solitude with my breakfast, coffee/tea, and Bible. These are the mornings when I feel like I can take on anything. Sometimes, though, I am just so tired that I sleep until Evelyn wakes up.

On the morning that I made these Sour Milk Pancakes, it just so happened to be my birthday. I mixed the ingredients, poured the batter onto the griddle, and sat down to a gourmet breakfast just for me. Some people might think it would be depressing to eat such a nice breakfast alone on one's birthday, but it was just the opposite for me. My day was full of other social activities, and this was the perfect way to start it.

This recipe is wonderful for using up milk that has gone sour enough that you wouldn't want to drink it, but not so bad that it is chunky. The resulting pancakes are fluffy without being cake-y. You can get similar results by using buttermilk, thinned plain yogurt, or milk with 2 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar. The original recipe is from Food.com, but I modified the flours and added toasted coconut and raspberries. Hope you like it!

Sour Milk Pancakes with Coconut and Raspberries
Serves 4

2 cups sour milk
2 eggs
2 tablespoons melted coconut oil or butter
1 1/4 cup whole wheat flour
1/4 cup almond meal
1/4 cup brown rice flour
1/4 cup coconut flour
1 teaspoon sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup toasted unsweetened coconut
1 cup raspberries

Mix wet ingredients in a bowl. In a separate large bowl, whisk together dry ingredients. Add wet ingredients to dry, stirring gently until almost blended. Stir in toasted coconut and raspberries. (Do not over stir, or the pancakes will be tough. A few lumps are fine). Pour by 1/4 cup full onto hot, greased griddle. Cook a couple of minutes, then flip and cook about a minute longer. I enjoyed my pancakes with butter and maple syrup. Other delicious toppings would be yogurt, fresh raspberries, honey, toasted almonds, etc.

Have a great weekend!

No comments: